When I saw this pin on Pinterest I just knew I had to make it. I haven’t had Mac and Cheese in a long time. Gasp, I know! I used to LOVE Velvetta Shells and Cheese in college, but my 20 year old metabolism is long gone. Being able to make a healthy version means I can at least enjoy it once in a while.
Ingredients: 8 cups cauliflower florets (2 – 16oz bags) ~ 2 Tbs. butter or margarine ~ 3 Tbs. all-purpose or wheat flour ~ 2 cups Almond milk ~ 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.) ~ 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese ~ 2 egg yolks ~ 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I used low carb bread toasted and crumbled by hand)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.
2. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly.
3. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, and egg yolks until cheese is melted.
4. Fold in cauliflower.
5. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
6. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
I originally was going to use Almond flour in place of the flour but decided to use whole wheat flower so that the sauce would have a better chance of thickening. Now this is not Mac and Cheese but with more than half the carbs and calories saved it was really delicious and I would totally make it again! This would also be good with some bacon bits or ham chunks mixed in.
What do you say, willing to give it a try?
Linking up with Jessica and Ashley.
YUM!! I love cheesy cauliflower! I used to eat those frozen individual sides that were very similar a few years ago. I need to try this! Thanks for linking up with us!!
I love those, and it tasted very similar. Hope you try it!
Tori G says
oh my goodness this looks fantastic! mac and cheesse is my weakness this is something I must try!!
I really liked it. I might add a bit more cheese but otherwise delish!
I will have to make this for my hubs, he watches his carbs like crazy and he would probably love this. I, meanwhile, am stuffing my face with ‘real’ mac and cheese as we speak. haha so I should probably try this too;)
I wish I could handle the full fat version but this was a good alternative.
Heather @ Notes from the Nelsens says
YUMMY!!! This looks SO good!
Thanks! I totally enjoyed it and love saving the carbs and calories.
cannot wait to try this
I hope you do, it was really yummy!