The weather around here is getting extreme, it has been getting into the 90’s so I love nothing more than a recipe that doesn’t require me to heat up the oven. It is also no secret that I love a good crisp salad and watermelon. A recipe that combines the two is heaven. I also have never thought to use the watermelon as a plate so I really had to try it. The inspiration for this can be found here.
3 ounces prosciutto, cut into small pieces (Prosciutto is expensive so regular diced ham can be substituted) ~ 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil ~ 4-5 leaves fresh basil leaves, chopped ~ 2 cups mixed baby salad greens ~ 23 slices red onion, sliced thin ~ 1 small watermelon, sliced into round slabs
Dressing: Salt and ground black pepper ~ 1/2 fresh lime ~ 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar ~ 1 Tbsp EVOO
This serves 1-2 people depending on your portion size so feel free to double for more people. Should be able to get about 5-6 thick slices from one Watermelon.
1. Heat the coconut oil in a small skillet on medium heat. Place prosciutto in the coconut or olive oil until prosciutto darkens and crisps up, about 5 minutes.
2. Drain prosciutto and set aside.
3. Toss basil, salad, onion, half the prosciutto, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper; toss to coat.
4. Squeeze in a couple of teaspoons of lime juice to taste; add the red wine vinegar, and EVOO toss to coat again.
5. Sprinkle remaining prosciutto over each watermelon slab, top with a portion of the salad, and serve. I cut a small pie shape into the watermelon to get to the middle.
What is your favorite no-bake summer recipe?