I love trying new recipes, finding new combinations of flavors. What tastes great on its own, can taste even better in combination with another flavor. When looking through my copy of the Betty Crocker Cookbook I had multiple recipes tagged to try one being the Smoked Gouda and Spinach Stuffed Chicken. I love smoked Gouda on its own but the addition of the spinach and the chicken made it a DISH and not just dinner!
~ 4 chicken breasts (2-1/2 to 3 pounds) *the original recipe called for bone-in chicken but I don’t eat meat on the bone so I used boneless skinless.
~ 2 TSP butter or margarine, melted
~ 1/2 tsp salt
~ 1/4 tsp pepper
Optional: Garlic Salt , Chili powder, Bacon Bits
~ 5 oz frozen chopped spinach thawed
~ 3 oz cream cheese, softened
~ 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda (2 oz)
~ 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease square pan.
2. Squeeze spinach to drain; spread on paper towel and pat dry. Mix the cream cheese, gouda and nutmeg; then stir in spinach.
3. Place chicken breasts in a ziploc bag or between Saran Wrap and pound chicken breasts with a mallet until flat. (If you don’t have a mallet use a rolling pin or a soup can)
4. Spread the Smoked Gouda and Spinach stuffing onto the chicken breast, roll and pin in place with toothpicks
5. Place chicken in pan. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper (I added garlic salt and chili powder for added flavor)
6. Bake in oven for 45-55 minutes or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers are cut.
SIDE NOTE: I will absolutely make this again, I may add a little bit of chicken gravy on top or maybe a chipotle dressing to add a chicken to the chicken and rice. Who knows what else I may add! Served with Brown Rice with Garlic Salt and Chives
What do you think, will you make this for dinner?
Adapted by Betty Crocker’s Cookbook